Inside The Brain of a Homemaker

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Are Steroids the Right Choice?

For years I've had to modify my yoga poses to accommodate my wrists.
They hurt if I put pressure on them.
I've tried everything.
A Massage - aka heaven, but it didn't help
Essential Oils
A Deep tissue massage - aka Brazilian torture (the therapist is from Brazil)
Chiropractor who had a special procedure to help ganglion cysts - nothing.
And even a Chinese Mystery Paste.
So I finally went to an osteopathic doctor who specializes in wrists.

He was nice.
But before I knew it, I agreed to let him give me a shot of steroids to the wrist.
Going into a doctor's office and getting a procedure that I had not researched to death is not my style.
But I did it
and almost immediately felt a touch or regret.
I probably would have ended up researching and coming back and doing it,
but I like to know exactly what is happening and why before it happens.

As I drove home, pain began to spread from the wrist into my hand and forearm.
It was a dull heavy pain.
There is extra fluid in the joint so that can cause pain.
It should subside soon.
I hope this was the right decision.

I would love to have my wrist back and to be able to do some hand balance poses that I've been longing to do again.

I put on a wrist brace and it seemed to help.
I'm pretty sure this is the adult psychological equivalent of a band-aide.
Suddenly, it just felt better.


No comments: